Sunday, February 28, 2016

Volo via!

Published on: Oct 2, 2007 


In a few days, I'll be trekking through Italy again, as I visit several regions of Central and Northern Italy. As always, Firenze (Florence) serves as the core of my journey, situated in the heart of Tuscany. I prefer the small airport in Florence over larger ones in Rome or Milan: it's nice to get off the plane and hit the ground running, so to speak. It's a short bus ride to the city center, where I'm staying. Once I stash my luggage at the hotel, I can easily visit the familiar sites that have become so dear: il Duomo (cathedral), Piazza della Signoria, San Lorenzo, and Ponte Vecchio. I'll have the chance to visit several friends that I met last year in Firenze: Marco and YoYo. This time I will be able to converse with them in Italian...at least part of the time. Last time we met, I had trouble stringing words together....at least now I can manage complete sentences!

I'll spend a few days in Firenze, then head south by train to Umbria, where I'll spend 4 days in Assisi, home to splendid frescoes by Giotto in the cathedral dedicated to St. Francis. This saint has always held a special place in my heart for his love of animals and his devotion to living a simple life. In Assisi I also hope to visit the nearby villages of Perugia and Gubbio. (There's an international chocolate festival in Perugia, but I'll miss it by a week....thank goodness! I prefer to avoid masses of tourists, especially in small villages.)

Then I'll travel northeast to Urbino, in the region of Le Marche. Like Assisi, Urbino is a small hill town, and because it's not easy to get to, it's off the usual tourist path. Getting there will entail several train changes and a bus ride, but I've been assured it's well worth the effort. Urbino is the birth place of the painter Raphael, and has an impressive Ducal Palace. I've allowed 4 days in Urbino to soak up the beauty and ambiance of village life.

Next, I'll travel along the Adriatic sea north to Ravenna, home of world-renowned Byzantine mosaics, and the city where Dante spent the last few years of his life in exile, finishing his epic poem, The Divine Comedy. I'll spend several nights there, and take a day trip to Bologna to see Haruko, from Tokyo, who will be in Florence that week. Since I won't be in Florence when she is, we decided to meet in Bologna for the day, as it's midway between Florence and Ravenna. Bologna is famous for its food....and there's more chocolate, by the Majani chocolatiers, who have been in business since 1796!

I will travel next to Parma, in Emiglia-Romagna, where I'll be visiting my friend Paolo, who recently moved there from Rome with his family. Paolo has arranged for me to stay in the Ducal Palace in Parma, a distinct privilege for me. As commander of the carabinieri (national police) in Parma, Paolo and 14 of his staff, along with their families, have their living quarters in the Palace. Fortunately for me, there are also rooms for visiting guests, and that's where I'll stay. Parma is famous for Parma ham (the best prosciutto in the world) and of course, Parmesan cheese.

After Parma, I'll return to Firenze for several days before returning home. I'm looking forward to this three-week adventure, my third to Italy. I will post stories en route when I can and photos when I return.

Thanks to the many friends, penpals, relatives and clients who have contributed so much to my life by inspiring, supporting, encouraging, and enjoying my adventures.
bacci e abbracci e ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment