Friday, February 26, 2016

Home again

Originally Published on: May 20, 2006


Mb.jpg

Well, my first trip to Italy ended when I returned on Tuesday afternoon, May 16th. The flight home went quickly, thanks to the many movies I watched in transit from Amsterdam to Detroit. It's taken me the rest of the week to adjust to "reality." Today I finally had time to attend to things like planting tomatoes, washing clothes and getting caught up on my sleep.
I miss many things about Italy, and feel the need to return soon, hopefully in the fall. I miss the language, the sweet energy of the Italians, the pealing bells...even the waspy noise of the many vespas that tool around Florence's tiny streets. I loved the rich store of history and art that was everywhere, as well as the beauty. I rarely experienced any anxiety or fear at any point in my trip, never really worried about my safety or thievery, and was treated with consideration and respect most of the time. I've always wanted to live in another culture, and if I can find a way to do it, I'll live in Italy one of these days. In the meantime, I'll learn the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment