Friday, February 26, 2016

San Gimignano

Published on:May 8, 2006 


I took the bus to San Gimignano, with a change in Poggibonsi. Which means they just dropped us off by the highway. Only four of us got off at that stop, me and a couple with their young son. We tried to figure out what to do, as there was no indication of another bus coming that way. I thought it was best to stay and wait for it there, but the couple urged me to walk into town with them. They were from Spain and spoke no English, so I struggled to communicate in Spanish with them.

We walked into town, and found the bus station, but there were also several cabs there. So the man offered to take us all into San Gimignano via taxi, and forget about the bus. It was only a 11 kilometer drive, and a nice change from the crowded bus. The man wouldn't let me pay for any of it. The kindness of strangers!

San Gimignano is an impressive walled-in city that dates back to the 10th century. Actually, it goes back even further, as the town is built on an Etruscan settlement from the Hellenistic Period, 300-200 B.C.

It's an interesting town...but it's also crowded with tourists and in a small village, that's not my idea of fun. Also lots of stuff for sale, which also doesn't interest me. What really interests me about this place is the countryside outside of town. Here's a view of the town from one of the thirteen medieval (of 70 original) towers that are still standing.

San g.jpg

Che bella! You've all heard about the beauty of Tuscany...well, let me tell you, it's no lie! It really seems like a slice of heaven. No power lines to mar the view, no highways humming in the background. You could hear dogs barking from miles away, it was so calm and peaceful. Rolling hills of pastoral beauty in every direction. I watched as the honey-colored Tuscan glow settled in over the countryside.

tuscany.jpg

My main activity today has been walking the "passeggiata della mura," or the walk along the wall. It's a path along the outside of the wall, all the way around the town. It has the same feel for me that I had in Killarney National Park in Ireland...magical. I spent most of my stay in San G walking along these paths, or just sitting on benches along the path, writing in my journal.

della mura.jpg

I also want to thank my friend Luigi who's been keeping in touch everyday by phone or pc, which has helped considerably to keep me grounded in a few frantic moments. Grazie, amico.

Tomorrow I'm off to Siena, with a short stop in Colle Val D'Elsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment