Saturday, February 27, 2016

Florence, Duomo e Baptistery

Originally published on: Dec 31, 2006


I can't explain it, but Firenze calls to me. Even now, as I go through my photos, I feel an eagerness to return, an ache for the beauty and history so evident there. I recently learned that Florence was first established as a Roman colony in 59 BC. (YES, that's 59 BC!) However, it wasn't until the 13th century that it became famous for its textile industry and its banking sector. As trade flourished in Florence, and the Medici family came into power, wealthy patrons contributed to the flow of art and artists to the city, and it became the cultural and intellectual heart of Europe.

One of the views that always grabs me is the sight of the Duomo, the cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore. It serves as a centering device, helping me to get my bearings wherever I am in Florence. I've written more about its history in the April and May archives of this blog, so won't go into that here, but here are a few more photos taken in November. The building of the Duomo began in 1296 and the dome was completed in 1436, but the cathedral facade was not finished until 1887. It's impossible to give any real perspective via photos of this enormous church, the fourth largest in Europe. Every day when I walked around the corner of la scuola, where I was studying Italian, its impressive presence never ceased to fill me with awe. Here are a few images of it:

F duomo street view.jpg
a street view

F duomo front.jpg
from the front
 F duomo side.jpg
from Piazza del Duomo
 F duomo detail.jpg
details from the Piazza
 F bell tower.jpg
Standing beneath the campanile, designed by Giotto,
finished in 1359, 22 years after his death.
This next photo is a favorite of mine, as it shows Brunelleschi, who designed the infamous dome (built without scaffolding!), looking up at his creation.
F Brun.jpg
Across from the Duomo sits the Baptistery, with its famous bronzed doors, that dates back to the 4th century, making it one of Florence's oldest buildings. Many famous Florentines, including Dante, were baptized here.
  
F Bap front.jpg
 F Bap doors.jpg
Details of Ghiberti's "Gate of Paradise," finished in 1452.
These doors are copies of the original panels, which reside
in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo.
F Baptistery1.jpg

Inside the Baptistery dome, with 13th century mosaics covering the ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment