Friday, February 26, 2016

Siena

Published on: May 9, 2006 


I woke up this morning to thunder and pouring rain, but it stopped in time for me to walk across the village to catch my bus to Siena at 9 am. With the uncertain weather conditions, I thought it was best to skip the stop at Colle val d'Elsa, and save it for another time. I've already decided that the next time I come, I'll rent a car and take my time visiting some of the smaller towns around here. The countryside is such a feast of beauty, and it seems a shame that I'm seeing most of it passing through to bigger cities.

I met a woman on the bus, Giuseppina, originally from Santo Domingo, but a resident of Poggibonsi for the past 14 years. We managed to have a conversation in Italian...one of the first I've had with someone other than my penpals. When we arrived in Siena, she helped me find my lodging, then led me to the main piazza, where crowds of people soon filled the vast area. By this time the sun was shining, and I had the whole day to explore the town.

Giusafina.jpg

One thing I've been really happy with is the lodging that I arranged over the internet for this trip. I was able to get really good deals for each of them, and have been really pleased with the results. They've been easy to find, in the center of the areas I want to be, and very comfortable. When I get back and have more time to add more details to these sketches, I'll include web links to the places I've stayed.

siena piazza.jpg

Here's a photo of the main piazza in Siena, Piazza del Campo, where the famed Palio is run every year in July and August (a bareback horse race, first recorded in 1283, that lasts all of 90 seconds!). I visited the Siena Duomo (built 1136-1382) this afternoon, one of the most spectacular in Italy, built in full Gothic style.

siena ceiling.jpg

These churches give you a real sense of how important their faith was to the community, and to the lives of the people in the community. Other than that, I've been wandering around la citta (the city), with its winding streets and old world charm. Now I know where the color "siena" comes from, as it is the predominant color of the buildings all over Siena.
siena chiesa.jpg

Tomorrow I head for Pisa in the morning, then Cinque Terre in the afternoon...three train changes are involved, so that should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment