Saturday, February 27, 2016

Gavi

Originally published on: Dec 28, 2006


Finally, I have time to continue writing about my travels in Italy. It's been three weeks since my return, and I'm eager to revive the experience through memories and photos.  After visiting Luigi in Milan for several days, I boarded a train bound for Arquata Scrivia, the closest stop to Gavi, where I would be visiting my penpal Lorella and her family.
Gavi is situated between Milan (south from Milan @ 1 hour by train) and Genova (south from Gavi @ 1/2 hour by train), and is famous for its white wine. Lorella and her husband Sergio met me at the train station, and we drove by car back to their home outside Gavi.  I immediately felt at home with Lorella and her family. She and I share many interests, including a love of travel and gardening. It was a gray, misty day, but the house was warm and cozy, so I hardly noticed. Here's a photo of the family from our mid-day lunch, with their son Alessandro joining us for the yummy feast of pasta, bread, cheese and wine.
G Lorella fam.jpg

After lunch, 'Sandro left to meet his friends, in an Ape, a three-wheeled vehicle that is often seen in Italy. Here's a view of it outside their home, with 'Sandro at the wheel.

G ape.jpg

In the afternoon, Sergio and Lorella took me to Gavi, a small nearby village that retains its medieval charm as seen in the bell towers below.

G belltower2.jpgG belltower3.jpg

The building in this next photo had a date stamped into one wall denoting that it was built in 1620.
G belltower.jpg

As we walked through Gavi, I came across this wall of ivy bursting with color.
G ivy.jpg

Then we drove around the countryside to see the vineyards. The misty day accentuated the rich fall colors, with leaves still on the trees in mid-November.
G vineyards.jpg
G drive.jpg

After our drive, we stopped for my second encounter with hot chocolate, this time accompanied by exquisite almond-flavored cookies, another item that Gavi is famous for. In the evening, Lorella prepared another typical Italian meal, and later we had a visit from her neighbors, who gifted me with Torrone, a special nougat candy from Sardegna, made from almonds and honey . Earlier in the day, I'd also met Lorella's father, who lives nearby. How could I not help but feel special, with such a wonderful welcome? My stay with Lorella and Sergio was filled with laughter and warmth, and I will never forget their generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment