Thursday, February 25, 2016

Beginnings: Taking the Plunge

Originally Published on: Mar 31, 2006

Inspiring quotes always come in handy when I'm contemplating a big challenge. And yesterday I needed that help, when it came to buying tickets for a trip to Italy. I've been planning this trip the last few months, but the dream of doing something is a breeze compared to dealing with the inevitable fears and hassles that come into play when bringing that dream into reality.

By the time I was ready to commit to getting the airline tickets, there weren't many to choose from, and the dates I wanted didn't have any reasonable fares. I'd been advised that I could find a cheaper fare by waiting until now, but that advice turned out to be bogus. So I panicked, as I had a pretty tight schedule and had already planned my itinerary. I found a decent fare for a week earlier than my original plans, so I jumped on that. And once I did, all of a sudden I felt very anxious.

Since I teach people how to deal with fear, stress and anxiety, I thought I'd share my journey through this tangled web. So now you know...I go through the same stuff as my clients sometimes. But over the years I've learned some helpful tools that can really bust through the worst of your fears, and I use them in the same way that I urge others to do.
The number one thing that was helpful to me yesterday was working out at the gym. In the heat of my anxiety, I donned my sweats and headed out the door. During my workout, I felt the anxiety receding, and the thoughts that led me to panic in the first place melted away. You know the kind of thoughts I am talking about: what if, irrational thoughts like: "What if I can't find a place to stay? What if I can't  figure out the train system? What if I can't  understand anyone and miss my connections?" In a calmer frame of mind, I know I can handle whatever comes up.

See, it's the little things that get in my way sometimes. I don't really fear travel or change, though it makes me uncomfortable to move out of my comfort zone. I look forward to seeing a different world than mine, and enjoy the challenge of finding my way around in strange places. I even love flying, and don't mind the hassle of being hustled through several airports. No, it's the irrational, wild card thoughts that get in my way.

Another tool that is vital for me is positive self-talk: taking the time to do a reality check and challenge the irrational thoughts I am having. A woman named Byron Katie has a helpful approach to this that you can find on her website, listed in the links to the left. It's a process of self-inquiry that helps you cut through the crap, calming you down so you can think more clearly. 

Today, the panic has receded and I'm getting excited again. After all, I'm going to Italy in 5 weeks. Tutto va bene. (Everything's fine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment