Saturday, February 27, 2016

Fiesole

Published on: Jan 12, 2007 


Fiesole is a small town in the hills above Florence, with panoramic views of the city, and I was determined to visit it after missing the chance last May. Since I had my afternoons free, I waited for a sunny day, then took #7 bus from Piazza San Marco for the 20-minute ride to Fiesole. I was not disappointed. Here's a view from the hills. It was pretty hazy over Florence, so this view only shows the easternmost edge of the city in the background.

Fiesole3.jpg
This is a typical view in Fiesole.

Fiesole4.jpg

I walked up a steep incline to a city park, with this view of olive trees in the foreground. I was alone in this park, except for some birds who kept me company while I ate a panini for lunch.

Fiesole2.jpg

In the evenings and weekends, Fiesole is popular place to visit. And in the summer, it is swamped with visitors interested in the Etruscan museum and archeological park that are located there. This was a restaurant along the way to the park.

Fiesole1.jpg

But this day, the town was almost empty, and I enjoyed the reprieve from the noise and constant activity in Florence.

Fiesole view.jpg

I went to a photo exhibit in one of the churches, now open as a gallery.

Fiesole exhibit.jpg

This was the path up to another church.

Fiesole path.jpg

Little did I know that I would visit Fiesole again the next day, when my friend Paola took me along to pick up her daughter from a friend's house. So I had the chance to see Florence lit up at night from the hills, and to visit a home amidst the winding streets of Fiesole.

No comments:

Post a Comment