Saturday, February 27, 2016

Milano

Published on: Dec 11, 2006

My first stop on my second Italian journey was Milan. I flew into Linate airport and took a bus to the center of town, where I had reservations at a lovely hotel. I'd been expecting cold weather, but it was merely cool and damp. Milan is often cloudy and foggy in winter, but somehow I lucked out and missed the cold weather that is usually present this time of year.
 
The reason for taking this route, instead of flying directly to Florence as I did last time, was to meet several of my penpals, and see more of Italy. Besides, there are many more options for flights to Milan. First, I met Luigi, who I've been corresponding with since last March. He has become a good friend, and we share a lot of similar interests, including a fascination for each other's language. Luigi introduced me to the Italian version of hot chocolate. Instead of milk with chocolate in it, as we are familiar with in America, the Italians serve warmed chocolate in a small cup. Perhaps it has some milk, or cream in it, I'm not sure, but it is quite thick and silky, meant to be sipped or dipped into with small cookies. Yum!
 
From my hotel, I had an easy 20-minute walk to Milan's Duomo, one of the largest Gothic churches in the world. Construction began on it in 1386, but was not completed until 500 years later, when Napoleon completed the facade.
 
M duomo.jpg
 
One of its distinguishing features is its roof, with 135 spires, 3,500 statues and gargoyles. (Who counted them, and how did they decide on this number, I wonder?) They say on a clear day you can get a view of the Alps from the roof. As it was cloudy during my stay in Milan, I decided to save the roof view for another visit.
 
MDuomo2.jpg
 
I also visited the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II , Milan's premiere shopping arcade, built in 1865-67.
Galleria2.jpg
 
Replete with fashionable stores like Louis Vuitton and Prada, and numerous restaurants and cafes, Milan's ornate "drawing room" is an impressive building. It has elaborate mosaic floors, depicting signs of the zodiac and the four continents of Europe, America, Africa and Asia . The roof, made of metal and glass, is a work of art in itself, and the first of its kind in Italy.
 
Galleria.jpg
 
On the other side of the Galleria, I discovered a large statue of Leonardo da Vinci, who lived in Milan for 20 years.
 
Leonardo.jpg
 
Across the street from Lenonardo stands La Scala, one of the most prestigious opera houses in the world. I hope someday to attend an opera at La Scala, which first opened in 1778.
 
La Scala.jpg
 
In la Piazza del Duomo, there was a protest going on that day, as Italians gathered to voice their disapproval with their government. Later that day, there was a bus strike as well, a common occurrence in Italy as a form of protest. Rather than being put off by this, I felt fortunate to witness the freedom of expression it represents.
 
protest.jpg
 
After two days in Milan, I headed out early on a Saturday morning to catch a train to visit another penpal in Gavi. Getting around in Milan turned out to be a simple affair for my needs. I caught a bus only a half-block from my hotel to the train station, and from there I was on my way to Gavi, an hour south of Milan.

No comments:

Post a Comment