Sunday, February 28, 2016

Firenze

Published on: Oct 7, 2007


Just a short note...
I'm in Firenze...it's been hot and crowded...TOO crowded. The Internet cafes are also crowded, so I've been avoiding them. This one is crowded with Asians talking on Skype in various languages, so it's hard to think. Yesterday I walked nearly 10 miles around town. Several of the churches I wanted to see were closed, but I did manage to visit the Brancacci Chapel and Orsanmichele. I'll tell more about those when I get home. Today I'm going to try and get out of the city.

One of the bright spots so far is the hotel I'm staying in. It's recommended by Rick Steves, so most of the guests are American....go figure. The owners are Carmel and Pino, an American woman from Boston and her Italian husband. I'm one of the few guests who speaks Italian, so he's been testing my skill. Ohime! He likes to sing, which is nice. The place is spacious, with funky antiques, statues and paintings along the halls and marble staircase. Best of all, there's a huge terrace where the guests can gather on the roof of the building, and it overlooks other yards. The terrace is filled with plants and several bird cages, lounge chairs, and a long table under a canopy. It's very peaceful up there, a nice place to write or visit or enjoy the pealing of church bells.

I have another day here, then I'm off to Assisi. Some of the guests have been there on a day trip and are envious that I've planned 4 days there.

No comments:

Post a Comment