Saturday, February 27, 2016

Last days/nights in Firenze

Originally published on: Jan 13, 2007


After I returned from Rome, I had another week of school in Florence and more art to peruse. One important stop was to visit il David, Michaelangelo's famous sculpture that stands 17 feet tall in la Galleria dell'Accademia. I'd seen copies of David outdoors in Piazza della Signoria and Piazzale Michaelangelo last May, but wanted to see the real thing this time. In November, there was no need for a reservation like most other times of the year, so I wandered over one day after class. As I wasn't allowed to take a photo of it, here's one I got from the web...

F david.jpg

Another highlight of this last week was visiting Casa Buonarroti, Michaelangelo's family home. What drew me there was a painting by Artemesia Gentileschi that she painted in 1613 on the ceiling of one room in the house, commissioned by Michaelangelo the Younger, the great-nephew of his famous uncle. It's called The Allegory of Inclination, my favorite Gentileschi painting. I'd first learned of this Renaissance painter several years ago from the novel The Passion of Artemisia, by Susan Vreeland.

Artemisia was one of the first women Renaissance artists to achieve fame or recognition.
She lived most of her adult life as a quasi-single parent, supporting herself with her art. Recent interest in her work has established her as one of the world's greatest female artists. For more information on her life and art, here's a link to a website that tells it all:
www.artemisia-gentileschi.com/index.shtml

I was able to capture this shot of the painting before I was advised it was not allowed.

F pintura.jpg

Another fun thing I happened upon was a market in Piazza di Santa Croce. Colorful booths were set up with vendors selling crafts and food from Germany. YoYo told me later that these vendors come every year during the Christmas season, and it's an event that Florentines looked forward to. I came across a similar market in Milan, and will have photos of that in the next entry. But I did take a photo of a statue of Dante, another famous Florentine and author of The Divine Comedy, that stands in front of Santa Croce.

F Dante.jpg

While in Florence, I spent several evenings out with Paola, another penpal. One Friday night she invited me to dinner at her home, where I met her children Margherita and Leonardo. Paola prepared a typical Italian meal of pasta, followed by the most exquisite eggplant parmesan I've ever eaten. (She said the secret was using fresh eggplant, (melanzana) bought from a local vendor.) Our meal was accompanied by homemade wine from one of her neighbors and lots of laughter. I treasure being invited into her home and the friendship that we've established.

F paolo2.jpg

I spent the last several days in Florence visiting my favorite haunts, including Ponte Vecchio and the Arno river. Here's a view at sunset.

F arno.jpg

By this time, it was the first week in December, and all the Christmas lights were up. Haruko and I spent several evenings taking a stroll through town to view them. This one is in Piazza della Signoria.

F luce.jpg
This is on la via dei Calzaiuoli.

F luce1.jpg

 This is the Neptune fountain in Piazza della Signoria.
  
F neptune.jpg
  
 And here's a reprise of Piazza del Duomo from earlier in this blog.

 F sm duomo moon.jpg
The day I left Florence, it was misting, as it had the day I arrived. I walked halfway across town to la stazione Santa Maria Novella (train station), pulling my bag across the uneven cobblestones, reluctant to leave what is starting to feel like my second home. Next, I return to Milan to spend my last few days in Italy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment